Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Unexpected Connections

by Eileen Kahl 

Why am I here? It's something I've been wondering about. Deciding to come on the trip during this time of the year was very difficult for me. As a teacher, I had preferred to come in June when I was off, but Dave convinced me to see if I could get the time off to come with him. And low and behold I got the time off. It's wasn't without a lot of stress and preparing. Working until 2am on lesson plans the night before, back into school at 6am to make the last few copies before the substitute arrived and the students, then finally back home to pack. Yes, I'm a professional procrastinator. By 1pm, I was ready by still feeling the excitement, now my anxiety was flying. Ugh. 

As we arrived at Hopewell, everyone was excited. Greeting and hugging each other. Several asked me, if I was excited and looking forward to the trip. Honestly, I still wasn't. They told me I'll feel differently once we're there and doing things. 


Now, what you need to know about me is that I'm not a very religious person. I was born Catholic and converted to Judaism. My views on God are that he/ she is what we created to help us explain the unexplainable, the beginning of everything. I don't believe that my life is predestined. I have free will to choose my path. I believe God has many names to different people, but in the end, it's the same God. The one who created everything. 


Yesterday, I started off the day trying to help with the build and became quickly useless due to my hand injury. Still not feeling the excitement. Then, we went to meet some of the moms. I was awe struck by each and every one of them. They were heroes in my eyes. Taking care and providing for others with what little they had. Yet, they still believed in God and his love. Often, identifying it as Jesus's love. Did it bother me? No. Did it stop me from participating in praying for them and with them? No. God loves us all. By the last visit, I was moved to tears and just wanted to save them all. Knowing it was impossible. 


Today, we started at the preschool. It was wonderful and enjoyable. Then we went to Avaodah. To visit with the young adults with disabilities. Why did I choose this option? I felt everyone loves being around the little kiddos, but many shy away from those with disabilities. It can make you feel uncomfortable, but it was in my realm. So off I went.  While they were introducing the young adults, one introduction stood out, Joshua, who is deaf and mute.


Something lit up in me and I wanted to know more about him. Talk to him. I had a small connection to deafness because my daughter is deaf but can hear with the help of cochlear implants. We were singing and the young adults were drumming along. I observed Joshua. He of course could not hear anything, but he tried his best. He observed the others and matched their rhythm, plus added some of his own. I spoke with Stefanie and explained my connection. Then, I suggested that Joshua hold the speaker with the bass turned up. Stephanie's reaction was priceless. She said this is awesome, please share with us anything you know. We're trying to figure things out and how to make him feel more included. Next, I showed another person about Google Live Transcribe. It's an app that can transcribe everything while you're talking even when there are other sounds around and it does Afrikaans. How cool is that? We discussed the possibility of having a tablet just for him to use there to allow him to access the conversations and possibly adding a picture talking app so he can communicate with them. 


This interaction made my day. So far its the best part of my trip. I felt I was able to truly make a difference. Maybe it was God's work.


No comments:

Post a Comment

My life has been forever changed!

 by Kimber Titus As I sit here and reflect on my trip to South Africa, the following verse keeps coming to mind. Philippians 4:13 I can do a...