Saturday, November 19, 2022

Abundance

by Karyn Ross

While preparing my heart and mind for this trip, abundance was not something I was expecting to find on this journey. I could not have been more wrong. Abundance is overflowing here but not in the sense others might define it. We have been here six days and I am still continually amazed by these incredible people we have been blessed to come to know. They have very little in the way of resources and there is tremendous need and many difficult circumstances they must endure. Despite all of it they keep going. 

Since arriving in this beautiful country, I have seen abundance through their eyes. Their joy is abundant, their love for each other and for us is abundant, and perhaps most inspiring to me their steadfast faith and hope is abundant. I spoke with many of them about this and this is what they told me. “It is Jesus, this is where our love and strength come from…we do it all to glorify God…we trust in the Lord and His plan, this is what gives us hope.” 

Another moment that really impacted me was during my time at Avodah, a community with individuals that have special needs. Here they are safe, they are loved and they have fellowship together and grow their faith. Here the trust is abundant the sharing, the helping and the abundance of absolute pure joy is a gift to witness! 

I was their guest for lunch and as I looked around the tables at each of their faces I knew this may be the only meal they would have that day. Two of them volunteered to serve and they came and put my plate down first, before all of their friends, unprompted by their leaders. It was a feeling I have a hard time putting into words. I was there to serve them and yet they chose to serve me. After lunch, before saying our goodbyes, they presented me with handmade gifts to take back to my group in Pennsylvania, a group of individuals that also have challenges both physically and intellectually. The have become close, they have gotten to know each other and we share through the leaders and we have bridged the 8000 miles. The Holy Spirit is flowing through us all and that is our connection. These gifts are all the more special because I watched them make them, with hands that are stiff and contorted, with difficulty understanding and many other challenges but they are the most beautiful gifts because they were made with love. 

I have received other gifts as well, the gift of songs, of hugs, of small tokens of their appreciation, of time spent drinking coffee and sharing stories together. I have received so much more than I have given. Abundance, they have it and embrace it every single day. Faith, Hope and Love live here. I think it is best summed up in the words of one of the beautiful women I had the honor of getting to know during my time here…God gives. I share. God gives again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

My life has been forever changed!

 by Kimber Titus As I sit here and reflect on my trip to South Africa, the following verse keeps coming to mind. Philippians 4:13 I can do a...