Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Leaving a part of you behind...

by Karyn Ross

“Wherever you go, go with all your heart.” Confucius 

My husband gave me a journal for my trip with this inscribed on the front. When I left the US for South Africa I felt torn, I was leaving part of my heart behind. I asked myself…is it possible to go somewhere with your whole heart and also leave a part of your heart behind?

During my short time here I formed bonds I didn’t think were possible. I was worried that the different culture as well as the language barrier, would prevent meaningful authentic connections. That was most certainly not the case. We connected through interpreters, sign language, laughter, hugs, smiles and most of all our shared love for Jesus. 

One moment I will never forget was sitting down at a little table in a child sized  chair with a little girl. She was theee years old, I speak English and she spoke only Afrikaans. On the table was a small piece of cloth. I picked it up and began to fold it into different shapes, a square, a triangle then a rectangle. After each one she took it from my hand and painstakingly copied each one, smiling at me each time it was finished. Then the magic happened, she picked up the rectangle and gently squeezing it at both ends put it up to her eye. I peeked through the opposite end and I can’t explain what happened next but it was amazing. All I could see was her tiny eye at the other end and she in turn saw mine. Just like that we were connected. 

My son told me to make sure not to miss the small things on this trip and boy was he right. A simple moment shared, an unspoken bond formed that I will not soon forget. 

“The eyes are the window to your soul.”
William Shakespeare  

The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are healthy, your whole body will be full of light. But if your eyes are unhealthy, you will be full of darkness.
Matthew 6:22-24

I have seen firsthand that lamps are burning bright here in South Africa.  So although I am sad to leave this beautiful country and my new friends, I leave with a full heart, and an answer to my question. Yes. Yes I do believe you can go somewhere with your whole heart and also leave a part of your heart behind. I have done it twice in eleven days. 🌎 💖

“You never really leave a place you love, you take part of it with you, leaving part of you behind.” Anonymous 



No comments:

Post a Comment

My life has been forever changed!

 by Kimber Titus As I sit here and reflect on my trip to South Africa, the following verse keeps coming to mind. Philippians 4:13 I can do a...